Friday, August 24, 2012

End of Week Icon: Schalk Burger

Dear Marilyn

So I should warn you, this weeks end of week icon may be a little random, but how could I not mention this man as an icon if I idolize him so much.

We all are fans of certain people, and I think it's important to be fans of local celebs as well, and because of this and also because I MET HIM! This weeks end of week icon is...

Mr. Schalk Burger:

May Marjoram- ecstatic to meet her rugby hero Schalk Burger.
I suppose having an icon mentioned of this nature I should admit it upfront that I am a big fan of my local rugby teams, and its true! I am an out and out Springbok, Stormers, and Western Province supporter.

Most importantly though, what I should admit to you is this... I absolutely LOVE Schalk Burger! Now don't get me wrong, I am an engaged girl, my whole heart does and always will belong to My Fiancee, but does that mean I can't keep a little space on the outskirts of my heart to have some love for fantastic rugby players, comedic karate masters and quirky Australian animal behaviouralists?

I seem to have soft spots for people who seem to get hurt a lot? I cannot explain why this is. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm rather accident prone, but there's something absolutely wonderful about people who get hurt ALL the time, and yet just keep going as if nothing happened. 

Maybe it's got some strange hidden message about perseverance and doing what you believe in and are passionate about no matter what?

There are three men in particular that get hurt A LOT that I love. Sadly the one has already passed, and it was very sad for me. This man was Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter. This man was FANTASTIC! The way he passed was not the way I expected he'd go at all, but at least it was still doing what he loved, be it not with crocodiles or reptiles, at least it was in the wild.

The second man I love who hurts himself constantly is, Mr Jackie Chan! Who couldn't love this awesome man, who insists on doing ALL his stunts, has injured himself countless amounts of times and yet still continues to do his own stunts in movies in his 50's! Not to mention the fact that he sings as well!

Finally, there is a man who comes from my own City, the lovely, the wonderful, Our man of this week, Mr Schalk Burger!! Farah Fennel, who read Jake Whites book, told me this fantastic story that Jake wrote about Schalk Burger.

Apparently, in one game, Schalk Burger got injured and his lip was hurt quite badly and needed stitches (the scar is still visible today), he was sent off for the blood bin, and apparently, while the medic was still stitching him up, he was saying that the medic needs to hurry up, he wants to get back on the field :) It's obvious that Schalk Burger, if it were allowed, would have stayed on the field and waited to get stitches till after the game. 

This man is like a human tank, it's WONDERFUL to watch him play. Once a watched a game where he and another player accidentally head butted each other. The other player stayed down, holding his head, and Schalk Burger sort of shook is head, and then kept playing like nothing happened.

Now... reading the above, you may think, wow, scary, what a MONSTER!,but you would be very very wrong.

Once my Fiancee's Mother was flying and landed up in the seat next to Schalk Burger on the plane. She was seated first, and then suddenly this rather large man came to the seat next to her. He looks at her, holds out his hand and says "Hello tannie, ek's Schalk Burger" (Hello Aunty (a sing of respect from an Afrikaans person) I am Schalk Burger)  Naturally, my Fiancee's Mother (someone who loves rugby as much if not more than me) replied, "I know".

I mean what a nice guy to be as modest as to not assume that everyone knows who he is!

Now recently, Rocking Rosemary came for a visit from the UK and on one of the nights we went out dancing.

I was pretty tired, and it was the end of the night, I was sitting in a corner, hoping and praying everyone else would get tired and leave so I could go, and then to make me feel better, after waiting for sooo long, it happened! There he was! He walked right by me! BUT! I couldn't get to him! Because at that exact same moment to make my sleepy misery worse, Rocking Rosemary and her boyfriend decided to do a pile-on on me!

SO to make up for it, Rocking Rosemary cornered him and asked him if she could take a picture of him with me :) To be more precise, she informed him i was "in love with him" and that he HAD to take a picture with me. I suppose this is why he looks a little afraid, but as you can see in the picture at the top, I was ecstatic (which completely made up for the embarrassing moment caused by Ms Rosemary).

It was a moment I will always remember, and a definite to be ticked off of a bucket list.

I will always be greatful to Rocking Rosemary for making a dream come true, and to SCHALK BURGER for being so sweet and such a sport and a definite icon in my books :)

Sincerely

May Marjoram

0 comments:

Post a Comment